Monday, November 11, 2013

1up migration post X:"Fave memories"

April 22nd 2008 10:41 AM

"My most cherished memories of gaming lie with the PC. It was through it I got my first taste of what it would be like in my future. I was barely 3-4 years old when I touched my first PC, at a fast food, some black and white screen with some "things" moving on it and I can't say I remember what they were. Later on as I grew I was always fascinated by computers, even my first console, the NES, did not stir me as much as them. Although by a twist of fate, my first game was a RPG very much in the likes of Ultima underground, betrayal at krondor and the such. A hardcore first-person rpg that I liked very much though it was impossible to play for poor me at that age. But I learned rather fast and that necessity to adapt quickly to the game set the path for me adapting to a lot of thing lather on. What I mostly wanted to come to here is that, despite my love for some very popular games such as "FFVII", "Chrono Trigger", "FFVI"(THE best console game of it's generation, in my opinion), my best memories of gaming go hand in hand with:"Ultima seven: the black gate". To me it was a blast! It's not just about gameplay and story here, but also friendship. One of my 2 best friends used to play this with me. OK, so we each played on our own PC but we kinda paced the game together, and when one got stuck the other tried to help. Well, most of the time we both go stuck, so we had to put our heads together to keep going. What also delighted me was the relative freedom one had in the game and it was my first experience with that. You could be merchant and spend time selling and buying stuff, you could go almost anywhere possible on the map, you could steal (my friends did spend most of the game stealing stuff, while I chose to play it nice) and it was all the very first time I encountered that. That was what truly turned me the most towards PC gaming rather than consoles. I still did both but I was always more excited about trying out a new PC game. Put on top of that, the fact that characters got hungry and had to eat, that in certain situations they would do what they wanted and not listen to orders from the player, it was superb. And that "sextant" used to calculate map coordinates from the height of the sun! We would use that a lot to tell the other were we found this or that on the map. It was a massive game for it's time and it lived for so long after. I mean look at how long "Ultima Online" survived!

As for my favorite console no doubt it was the SNES. Even thinking of it now, it brings back some feelings of wonder and sweet sorrow of all the fun my best friend and I had. When you look back, some games were pretty plain. But, at the time, they meant something to us. The ones I remember the most? "FFVI" bought for less than 6$ from some idiot who disliked RPGs, the pinnacle of our joy, the best for so much less! "Chrono Trigger", just as good in my memory as FF, but felt cooler (must be the spiky haired teenagers) and was so much easier too. "Top Gear", the first SNES racing I was ever interested in, I forgot it fast but the first time we rushed home to play it is dearly remembered, we had to leave school a bit early make it home before our moms and play like hell, 'cause when they came it was game over! Go study! Do your homework! It only made the short play all the more delicious. Growing means quite necessarily in this world parting ways. And so we all three each have our lives now and, I have confirmation, at least two of us are still gamers. I don't know if my best friend from back then still plays, but I do know he went out to be graphic artist. Did he succeed? Unfortunately all the news I have from him are from his mom. I do hope we get to meet someday, all of us, and have one of those old gaming nights, there used to be like 15 of us at home and playing games like "Mario Kart", "Killer Instinct", "Soul Blade". We had fun and we had good memories. The only other thing in my life that may bring me such happy reminiscing is what I felt and still feel for that first girl I ever fell in love with. That's another story now, ain't it? Auf wiedersein."

No comments: